This is Napier's newest cemetery, opened in 1985. The northern crest, topped by a trig point, offers extensive views of farmland and the suburbs of Napier. Before the earthquake of 3 February, 1931, this low-lying expanse was covered by the waters and mudflats of the great Ahuriri Lagoon.
The cemetery's sweeping lawns were formerly orchards, paddocks and vegetable gardens.
The most recent addition to the cemetery is the SANDS (Still and Newborn Death Support) Memorial, which faces out towards the lagoon.