The first public cemetery for Waipawa was created in the area just outside of Waipawa in a settlement called Hadley. This area was subdivided into small lots for housing and was going to be called Hadley Village, however it did not eventuate so when an area was required for a Cemetery, land in the Hadley area was gifted to the Borough by J A Smith Esq (obviously he had decided not to live here – this was way back in 1879) hence the name of Hadley Cemetery. By around the 1950’s the area of Hadley was nearly full so it had to extend, at this time a change in the way the cemetery was set out was called for. (Hadley was set out in 4 areas – Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian and Anglican). And with permission from the Churches this extended area became available for everyone – to distinguish the new part it was called Waipawa Cemetery, over the years Hadley became lost in history however it made it difficult when looking for a grave. There is now three cemeteries inter-connecting in the same area. The third new extension is CHB (Central Hawkes Bay) Cemetery.