The churchyard was the earliest European cemetery in the district with people being buried there as soon as the land was consecrated in 1865. The earliest identifiable gravestone is that of Richard Barton, founding father of both church and district. A number of Upper Hutt\'s early settlers are buried there, altogether over a thousand people. Today it is closed except for ashes interment, but has always been a focus of interest and sometimes curiosity.
Full burial details are available on www.lynley.gen.nz