The first St John’s church Matarawa was built in 1865 and opened in April 1866. The preacher at the time was Richard Taylor. The last service was held in 1908 when the unweathered timber caused the church to be pulled down. The present church was completed in the same year and has been used by the communities of Fordell, Matarawa and Okoia ever since.
This pretty little church is out in the countryside and has well kept gardens and many graves. It is a pleasant drive and takes about 10 minutes to drive there from the top of Durie Hill.