Also known as Saint Catharine Catholic Cemetery / St. Catharine Cemetery & Mausoleum/St. Anne Cemetery.
On October 31,1917, Reverend Walter T. Leahey, started St. Catharine Cemetery with the purchase of three acres in Sea Girt on West Chicago Boulevard. The site was cleared by members of various Parish-based organizations. In 1931, six acres were added; in 1941, 30 acres were added to bring the total acreage to its current 39 acres. The first burial was recorded in 1918.
A portion of the site was set aside for the development of mausoleums. Our Lady of Mercy (300 crypts) was built in 1973 under the pastorship of Monsignor John E. Grimes; St. Joseph (600 crypts) in 1976; and Madonna was built in 1987 (1,090). Monsignor Thomas A. Luebking built Resurrection Mausoleum in 1996 adding another 4,300 crypts and niches. The latter incorporated the first two mausoleums into its design thereby creating the allusion of one large building.
Monsignor Luebking purchased St. Anne Cemetery (11 acres) on Allenwood Road in Wall Township in 1991 since St. Catharine Cemetery was reaching capacity. St. Anne’s has 13,000 sites that are double-depth which doubles its capacity. St. Anne Mausoleum was the first mausoleum added to this site in 2015. Monsignor Luebking died on July 6, 2014 and was the first to be placed in a crypt near the Chapel Altar on April 26, 2015.
Both cemeteries and five mausoleums service the broader Spring Lake area. All choices of burial can be accommodated from an in-ground plot to a niche (when Catholics elect to be cremated). Committal prayers accompany all burials for any of the plots, crypts or niches.
*Many Corrections made 7/2015.