Snowdon Cemetery opened in 1924 on the site of the early nineteenth century Snowdon House and its garden.
Snowdon was a sixteenth century poetic name for Stirling as in Lindsay’s ‘Adieu, fair Snawdoun! With thy touris hie,
Thy Chapell Royall, park and tabyll rounde!’
The cemetery was a successor to The Valley and Ballengeich. There are splendid views of the castle and also out from Stirling to the hills to the west and north.
A noticeable feature here is the increasing contrast in the style of gravestones. There are still lots or crosses, urns and other forms which had become common in the nineteenth century. But more modern motifs include angels and devotional scenes whilst there are increasing numbers of simple headstones with very few symbols – the message depends more and more on the words