The Abbey of Finglas was founded in 560 AD by St. Canice. The ruins of the church in the graveyard date back to the 10th century. The graveyard contains the ancient stone, Nethercross, which was buried by the people of Dublin in 1649 to hide it from Cromwell. It now stands near the entrance in the south east corner. An aunt of Mary Shelley, the author of Frankenstein, is buried here.