Roseburg National Cemetery is located in Douglas County, Ore., approximately one-half mile from the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Roseburg. Roseburg National Cemetery was established in 1897 to serve veterans residing at the Oregon State Soldiers’ home. The Oregon Soldiers’ Home itself opened in 1893 to "provide a home for honorably discharged soldiers, sailors and marines who had served in any wars in which the United States was engaged, or who served in the Indian Wars of Oregon, Washington or Idaho, provided they were or might become citizens of Oregon. In 1933, the home was turned over to the National Soldiers’ Home Bureau and its administration transferred to the new Veterans Administration; the cemetery attached to the grounds was included in the move. In September 1973, the cemetery was transferred to the National Cemetery System within VA.