Richmond National Cemetery is located in Henrico County, Va., about three miles east of the state capital. The cemetery lies just within the fortification lines constructed by the Confederate army during its defense of Richmond during the Civil War. Three of the cemetery’s 10 acres were purchased in July 1867 from William Slater; additional acreage was subsequently purchased in 1868 and 1906.
The first burials at Richmond National Cemetery were reinterments from Oakwood and Hollywood cemeteries in Richmond, the cemetery at Belle Island Confederate Prison, the battlefields of Cold Harbor and Seven Pines, and from locations in Chesterfield and Hanover counties, Va.
Richmond National Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.