The church, which is open daily from 9.00 am – 4.00 pm, has always been and still is at the heart and centre of Dunstable. The building of the Priory began in 1132. In its heyday it was of cathedral proportions, serving a large Augustinian community. After the dissolution of the monasteries all except the original nave was lost, and its height was also reduced by one third. Even so it is a large and impressive building, full of history.