Old Covenanter Cemetery originated on land donated by Spruce Boggs in 1830 in an area right on the border of Jefferson County and Marion County, Illinois. The location was chosen for the first church of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Walnut Hill (as it was known in those days). The location of the church buildings was on the small boundary line road about half a mile north of the County Line Road we see today. The cemetery was across a small ravine that is still there today. In 1831, the first burial was recorded. The church no longer stands, but there is a granite marker located where the church once stood -- and the cemetery now has close to 600 known gravesites -- the most recent being added in 2010.