The city cemetery was begun by donations of land from Andrew Dexter in 1817 and from General John Scott in 1818. The early part of the graveyard was known as Scott's Free Burying Ground. The cemetery was open to all of Montgomery's people. Many of the soldiers and prominent statesmen who shaped history as well as ordinary citizens, hanged felons, and unknowns rest in Old Oakwood.
Over the years, the Oakwood Cemetery has been merged with other adjoining cemeteries. Both Eternal Rest Cemetery, and Land of Peace Cemetery were former Jewish cemeteries that were acquired by Oakwood Cemetery and are now under Oakwood's management and care. Looking at the map of the cemetery enclosed are areas in Oakwood that have just been discovered. The yellow box section on the map indicated the old pauper section, also called The Children of God Cemetery. The Green box indicates a mass burial site uncovered by the city.
The cemetery is nearly 140 acres in size and has a limited amount of lots for sale. You may contact the City of Montgomery's Sexton, Phillip Taunton for more information by visiting their official website listed above.