Mound Cemetery is located in Racine, Wisconsin, about two miles west of downtown. The site was used as a burial ground by American Indians, and a number of burial mounds are extant. Joseph (Antoine) Ouilmette, a French-Canadian fur trader, first laid claim to a large tract of land in Racine in 1834. Norman Clarke, another early settler, purchased a portion of Ouilmette’s land in 1839. In turn, Clarke and James Kinzie, who had become dual owners of the property, sold a 35-acre parcel to the city of Racine in 1851 for use as a cemetery. The first interment in Mound Cemetery occurred later that year. Dr. Philo R. Hoy, a local physician, was instrumental in the development of the cemetery. Hoy conducted archaeological investigations on the burial mounds, and as a member of the cemetery committee, he influenced the design of the cemetery plan to ensure that the mounds would be preserved.
After its establishment, all of the burials within the city limits were exhumed and reburied at Mound Cemetery. Through the late 19th century, it served as the primary burial ground for many citizens, including the founder of Racine, Joseph Knapp.
The 0.03-acre soldiers’ lot is located in lots 1, 5, and 6 within Mound Cemetery. The city of Racine sold these to the federal government in 1868 for $40.25. There are fourteen interments in the soldiers’ lot, including one unknown soldier. The thirteen other soldiers were members of Wisconsin military units who either died at local hospitals or at nearby Camp Utley.