Get started contributing to Mersham (St John the Baptist) Churchyard. Use the button below to begin a simple step by step process to get started contributing to Mersham (St John the Baptist) Churchyard.
“A hide of land for a Church at Mersham” was bequeathed by ‘John Siweard and his wife Edith’ in their will dated c. 1040 AD . A church has existed on this site by 1086 AD, as recorded in the Domesday Book.
The Church was rebuilt by the Normans c.1100 AD and further rebuilding was accomplished in the second half of the fourteenth century (1350-1400 AD). The Church is substantially the same today, although over the years it has been altered and changed internally over the years to reflect the current fashions of the day.
The present church contains significant monuments to the local members of the Brabourne and Knatchbull families