Maunu Cemetery and Crematorium is situated 6.5km west of Whangarei in Cemetery Road off State Highway 14. It is set in over 90 acres of rolling countryside, with beautiful bush clad valleys and pockets of remnant native trees. Maunu was first surveyed for a cemetery in November 1892. In 1898 two hactares of land were vested in the Maunu Cemetery Trustees until January 1922 when the Whangarei Borough Council took over control. in 1949 3.1 hectares were bought adjacent to the early cemetery and a further 2.3 hectares in 1960 from Dr G Walker. There have since been further additions to the cemetery grounds.