Small cemetery on private land, though cemetery is owned by the Tararua District Council. Permission must be obtained. It is sadly neglected and only 5 or 6 headstones are visible. A memorial has been erected opposite the Kaitawa Hall, in Hinemoa Valley Road, which records the names of most of those buried at the cemetery.
The Kaitawa cemetery is in a fenced off paddock behind the two residences by the Kaitawa School on Hinemoa Valley Rd, 8 km out from Pahiatua. It was planned to hold 130 plots and had a paddock besides as a reserve. The burial records provided show 20 burial records (whereas only 5 people are with headstones), the first burial being in 1891 and the last in 1943. The site is clearly visible and some headstones are still standing.
The cemetery was closed 28 March 1968 where it was previously under the control of Kaitawa Cemetery Trustees but in 1994 it passed to the Tararua District Council. The Trustees maintained a road to the cemetery for many years but this has now been taken into the school grounds. The land was leased to local land owners and in later years they maintained the area.
A memorial was established in 2005 for those that where buried in the Kaitawa cemetery and the local servicemen that died in the First and Second World Wars. It stands opposite the Kaitawa Hall near the roadside on Hinemoa Valley Rd.
More personal information may be found on the above website.