Located at the south end of Walt Whitman Road, before it's merge with busy Broad Hollow Road (Route 110), and no longer taking burials.
It dates back to the 1800's, once known as "The Little Church in the Wildwood Cemetery", because of the little white church that stood in front of the cemetery. Many of congregation are buried there including former pastors. While the building still stands, it currently isn't a church.
The name later changed to Lower Melville Cemetery because it is located in that village.
It's current sign states, Huntington Historic Cemetery, as it is in part of the Town of Huntington and is sometimes confused with the much larger Huntington Rural Cemetery located in the heart of the village of Huntington.