In 1854 this cemetery was dedicated by deed as David Haeger Cemetery, and has been closed for burials over 100 years. The Haeger Cemetery plaque on the gate denotes its landmark status by the Barrington Area Historical Museum. The Barrington Hills Comprehensive Plan declares this site as a rare historic feature that significantly enhances the village's character. Haeger Cemetery is believed to be one of the Algonquin Townships oldest burial grounds. Local pioneers are at rest here including Haeger, Goodrich, Huntley, Klinck and Lutes, with the earliest remaining headstone dated 1842. This small historic cemetery has been closed to burials for over 100 years. Death certificates exist documenting burials at Haeger Cemetery. The cemetery shares the same property as Haeger Schoolhouse from the 1860s, which was converted to a residence at its closure in the 1940s. Both were named after the prominent David Haeger family. School was originally held on the Haeger farm across the road, until a frame building was constructed on the cemetery grounds. The Haeger family started a brick business and later a pottery factory in East Dundee, Illinois, still in operation today. See Haeger Industries Inc. web site for additional history and photos. The former one-room schoolhouse and cemetery are located on the southwest corner of Spring Creek and Meadow Hill Roads. There is a 5ft. wooden stockage type fence surrounding the site and the gate is usually locked.
NOTE: Haeger School & Cemetery as per a recent title search was excluded from ALL deeds after 1854. Therefore, 1.5 acres of land was never owned by Klinck, Ebel or Welch families