Grange Cemetery was established in 1847 by the Southern Cemetery Company Ltd. on land donated by the Dick Lauder family of the Grange Estate. Designed by David Bryce the architect, the site occupied an open space of about 11 acres (about 4.5 hectares) and was built on a rectangular pattern around central vaulted catacombs which are built into the crest of the hill. Bryce also designed the lodge, modified by J.G. Adams in 1890, and a mortuary chapel which was never built.
The cemetery lies on Beaufort Road and has been expanded to border on Kilgraston Road. Both the two entrances are on Beaufort Road, at the NE and NW corners. It contains about 6,250 burial plots and is still in use today.
Two booklets have been produced by the Grange Association, listing a number of notable people who are buried in this cemetery.