The City Cemetery was established in 1844 by the Fredericksburg Cemetery Company. The cemetery faces William Street, its east side adjacent to Washington Avenue, and its rear in line with what is now Amelia Street. The original iron and stone entrance gate, although no longer used, still stands facing William Street. The current entrance to the cemetery is on Washington Avenue, through the gate of the adjoining Confederate Cemetery.
The City Cemetery provides the final resting place for many of Fredericksburg’s most notable and influential citizens, including former mayors, civic and business leaders, educators, professionals, religious leaders, and soldiers. While the cemetery’s primary purpose now is the preservation of the memory of those whose lives have enriched Fredericksburg for generations, it remains active, hosting a handful of interments each year.
The Fredericksburg City Cemetery Company, a non-profit corporation, owns and maintains the property, and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 616 Amelia Street, Fredericksburg, Va. 22401
NOTE: Entrance is through the gate for the Confederate Cemetery, but they are two separate cemeteries. The City Cemetery is everything to the LEFT as you enter the Confederate gate.