Fort Meade became an active Army installation in 1917. Authorized by an Act of Congress in May 1917, it was one of 16 cantonments built for U.S. troops drafted during WWI. The Fort Meade Main Post Cemetery was not established until much later in 1931 to support Soldiers and their families. The cemetery has been maintained over the years and remains active through the present day. In addition to both American Service Members and civilians, the cemetery contains the remains of both German and Italian POWs held in local camps during WWII. The cemetery is used for several annual events hosted by community organizations.
Fort Meade National Cemetery was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 22, 1973.