The Fort Lewis Main Post Cemetery can be found within the grounds of the U.S. Army's Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) which is located in the great state of Washington. JBLM, originally named Camp Lewis, and later changed to Fort Lewis, was originally built in 1917. The cemetery was established not long after with the first interment occurring there in 1918. At the center of the cemetery, a circle has been named in honor of the Fort Lewis founder, David Lamme Stone, a captain of the Engineer Corps. Stone returned to then Fort Lewis in 1936 as a brigadier general, and then major general, to command the installation he was so instrumental in building. In the center of the circle are two markers, one placed in honor of all unknown American soldiers who gave their lives for their country; the second marker pays homage to Stone-the Father of Fort Lewis. Every Memorial Day, JBLM Soldiers and community members clean and decorate the headstones with flags.