The Fort Leonard Wood Army post, first established in 1942, was named after Major General Leonard Wood, a former U.S. Army Chief of Staff from 1910-1914. With the establishment of the post also came the establishment of the post cemetery. With nearly 700 honored interred in the ground the cemetery has remained a place of honor, respect and dignity. The cemetery located almost directly in the center of the 70,000 acre installation which is surrounded by the Missouri Ozarks. One of the most notable features of the cemetery is the stone wall and gate which was built by enemy Prisoners of War during WWII.