Fort Crawford Cemetery is located on the former site of the Fort Crawford Military Reservation in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. There were two subsequent Fort Crawfords in Prairie du Chien during the 1800's. The original Fort Crawford, built in 1816, was situated adjacent to the Mississippi River. Repeated flooding led to its abandonment in 1826. Rebuilt on higher ground in 1830, the second incarnation of Fort Crawford operated until 1856.
In the spring and summer of 1832, Black Hawk, leader of a band of Sauk and Fox Indians, clashed with U.S. forces in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin, in a conflict now known as the Black Hawk War. After the Battle of Bad Axe in 1832, Black Hawk surrendered to the forces of Colonel Zachary Taylor and was imprisoned at Fort Crawford.
The soldiers' lot is located in block 13 of the Fort Crawford Cemetery. The first burials here were of the members of the 1st and 5th Infantry regiments stationed at the fort. The soldiers' lot includes eight above-ground box-tombs that were likely erected by the regiments. The United States received the title for the lot in 1866. There are approximately 64 interments in the 0.59-acre soldiers' lot, including the remains of four soldiers removed from the Protestant cemetery at Prairie du Chien.