This small rural cemetery primarily caters to the interment and requirements of the local Bay View, Eskdale and Te Pohue residents.
This cemetery no longer has any burial or ash interment sites available.
The first burial, that of Douglas Mary McKain in 1873, is marked by a handsome granite memorial standing at the topmost level of the cemetery. The McKain family established the first boarding house on the Western Spit (Westshore) in 1851.
The land encompassing the memorial was gazetted as a cemetery in 1878. It was the principal burial ground for Bay View and the farming settlements around the northern end of the Ahuriri Lagoon and Esk Valley. Many early pioneering settlers are laid to rest here.