Not to be confused with East London Cemetery which can be found as disused on old London maps as early as 1870 and as recently as 1916. It stood immediately south of St Faith's Church Shandy Street (now demolished) and is now Shandy Park, Tower Hamlets, London E.1.
The East London Cemetery and Crematorium is in Plaistow, which is now in the London Borough of Newham. It is 800 yards South of Plaistow railway station, and is next to the Greenway.The East London Cemetery Company was formed in 1871 to provide and maintain a burial ground for the local population within East London. Seven local businessmen set up the now 32 acre cemetery, which accepted its first funeral service on 8 August 1872, and remains open.The company underwent a re-organisation in 1888 to become a limited company. A crematorium was added in 1954, together with an ornamental rose garden, which became very popular with families visiting the cemetery. Other memorial schemes have been added over the years, and improvements to the buildings and facilities have recently been completed.
The cemetery has two Gothic chapels built at the end of the 19th century that remain in use.One is dedicated to St Michael and All Angels, and the other is a non-denominational chapel for cremations. Among the graves is a memorial to the 550 victims of the 1878 SS Princess Alice disaster. Another memorial, marked by a ship's anchor, commemorates those who died when the staging collapsed during the launching of HMS Albion in 1898. A further disaster, the Silvertown explosion of 1917, is commemorated on the grave of Andrea Angel, chemist at the Brunner Mond chemical works whose TNT plant exploded damaging up to 70,000 properties in the area, killing 73 people and causing over 400 casualties. 15 of the 18 children killed at their school by the first fixed wing bomber attack during WWI are buried in a mass grave here. It contains 244 burials of the 1914-1918 war; 97 are in the "Sailors' and Soldiers' Plot," which is marked by a War Cross and a stone Kerb Wall bearing the names. A Screen Wall memorial, close to the main drive, bears the names of those whose graves, elsewhere in the cemetery, are not marked by headstones. There are 132 Commonwealth burials of the 1939-1945 war here. Some of these were casualties of the "Blitz" air raids and are buried in a collective grave alongside civilian casualties. The names of the war dead in this collective grave are recorded on a panel over the graves. A further 1939-1945 Screen Wall memorial bears the names of those whose graves, elsewhere in the cemetery, are not marked by headstones.All of the WWI German spies executed at the Tower of London by firing squad are buried here.
Office: MON to FRI: 9.30am - 4pm. Cemetery: MON to SAT: 8.30am to 4.30pm. SUN:10am - 4.30pm. BANK HOL: 1pm - 4.30pm. Christmas Day: 10am -1pm.
Facilities: Building has LEVEL or RAMPED ACCESS via the main or side door
PARKING for Blue Badge holders nearby
TOILET with access for disabled people