Accessed from Old Charlton Road, the 6 acre site of St James is one of four Cemeteries at this location and was opened for burials in approximately 1855, with the first one being Mary Ann Whitworth who died on 22nd January 1855. St James' cemetery contains the most recent history, especially sad memories of the great wars in which Dover has been involved.
Here are the graves of the casualties of the 1918 Raid on Zeebrugge, laid out in ranks near the last resting place of their leader Admiral Sir Roger (later Lord) Keyes. A few hundred yards away are the beautifully kept Imperial War Graves of many of those who died during the Dunkirk Evacuation in 1940, or who died from their wounds in Buckland Hospital.
The attractively laid out cemetery is peppered with the graves of servicemen who died in peace and war over the years in Dover, including at least three holders of the Victoria Cross.