Established by The Harley Family 1870
Location: Along State Road # 249 between State Roads # 25 & # 248 in Dorchester, SC.
Originally, this Cemetery was known as The Harley Burying Ground. The first grave was that of Sarah Florence Harley, the 20 year old daughter of Dr. Thomas J. Harley and his wife, Sarah Harley, who died in 1870. The grave was near the home of Dr. T. J. Harley on his land. For many years after 1870 members of the Harley families living in the area used this as their place of burial. Several years after the death of Dr. Thomas J. Harley in 1880 the heirs moved away and the old burying ground fell into very bad condition and grew up in trees, bushes, vines, with many tombstones being broken.
In 1926, Dr. Timothy W. Harley, who had lived in Charleston for many years, was laid to rest beside his wife Excy, who had died in 1887 at the age of 27 years, and their children, Mary Ella (1864-1871) and Furman (1878-1885). This burial brought about renewed interest in the Harley Burying Ground, and Dr. Govan B. Harley, who lived in Dorchester, instigated plans for cleaning up the old cemetery and establishing what is now the Dorchester Cemetery. Dr. G. B. Harley was buried there in July 1949, and soon afterward one and one-forth (1 1/4) acres were cleaned up. In July 1963 this plot of land was deeded by the family of the late Mr. J. Marion Clayton to the trustees, S. W. Clayton, W. A. Pate, and F. W. All of The Dorchester Cemetery, as a place of public burial. In June 1964 the Men's Bible Class of Salem Methodist Church purchased adjacent one and one-half (1 ½) acres of land from Mrs. Martha Jean Campbell. A chain link fence was erected around the entire two and three-fourths (2 3/4) acres, with red brick columns with the name, "The Dorchester Cemetery, Established by The Harley Family 1870" inserted, which support the North and West double gates. Our Cemetery is organized, with rules and regulations, planned and platted, with the same active trustees promoting the continued upkeep and beautification of a peaceful resting place for our family and friends of this community. Sybil Harley Pate
Recorded in Deed Book 11, pp 19-21, Dorchester County, SC: "The State of South Carolina, Whereas, Thomas J. Harley formerly of Rosses Station, in the County of Dorchester, and state aforesaid, departed this life on or about the 15th April 1882, intestate, leaving as his heirs at law and distributees, his widow, Eudora M. Harley, and two daughters, Fetuah Lucretia Harley, and Thomas Etta McCarrel (born Harley) . . . are the owners in fee of a tract of land containing about fifty acres . . . situate at said Rosses Station, (now Dorchester Post Office), . . . desire to convey to Oscar D. Sires and Arthus S. Coburn . . . 2 1/4 Acres . . . Plat by J. H. Knight, Civil Engineer, dated 11th April 1907 . . . which tract is lettered "B" on attached plat." Recorded April 29th, 1907.
Information from CEMETERY INSCRIPTIONS OF DORCHESTER COUNTY, SC
Compiled by Lillian H. Harley, Pattie W. Heaton, Lillian D. Kizer
Available online at http://www.oldplaces.org/dorchester/cemeteries/dorchester.html